FOT scores in Forestry Plan Issue Resolution
The Friends of Temagami has won some concessions in the 2009-2019 Temagami Forest Management Plan. In response to FOT’s Issue Resolution request, filed in June 2008, Ministry of Natural Resources Regional Director Eric Doidge has made changes to the final plan. These include:
· Long-term road density in Special Management Areas will be capped at 0.55 km/km2. This recognizes the density as a maximum, not an average.· Decommissioning will be considered as a road use strategy. This is the first time that a specific strategy for road abandonment has been identified.
· Secondary canoe routes will not be created. This may have led to a lower level of protection for existing canoe routes.
· Youth camps and canoeists will be involved in cultural heritage planning. We had previously been barred from sitting on the Cultural Heritage Task Team.
· Viewpoint access trails will receive a T1 Area of Concern. This 30 m reserve and 30 m modified reserve is the highest level of protection afforded hiking trails.
· Six viewpoints will receive permanent recognition: Florence Lake Ridge, Dry Lake Ridge, Chee-skon Ridge, Pinetorch Fire Tower, Blueberry Lake Ridge, and Dalton Lake Ridge.
· Native people will be consulted regarding logging in the Spirit Forest.
FOT will now ensure that all portages, as well as youth camp and canoeing heritage values, are recognized and protected. We will also participate in the review of the Temagami Land Use Plan, expected in 2009.